[ UR都市機構ホームへ ]


UR賃貸住宅 関西エリア

  1. UR賃貸住宅 > 
  2. UR賃貸住宅 関西エリアトップ > 
  3. ワカモノUR > 
  4. International Students

An International Student Living in a UR Apartment

We interviewed an international student who lives in a UR apartment, asking her about her lifestyle and the advantages of UR rental housing.

UR history: 4 months
Faculty: Faculty of Humanities, Major in Japanese Literature and History and Culture
Native country: Yunnan Province, China

About UR Rental Housing

UR rental housing is a type of rental accommodation managed by Japan’s Urban Renaissance Agency. UR currently manages over 740,000 UR rental units nationwide. High-quality UR rental properties are designed to provide a pleasant living environment with ample living space and facilities. International students, as long as they meet certain criteria, are welcome to rent UR apartments. So, if you’re looking for a place to live in Japan, be sure to check out UR rental apartments!

The Four Benefits of Renting UR Housing

1It’s easy!
  • You don’t need a guarantor to sign your lease.
2It’s affordable!
  • Just pay your monthly rent and building service fees, along with a security deposit of two months’ rent. There’s no hassle or confusion with key money, commissions, or renewal fees. The low initial cost is what makes UR housing so attractive.
  • You can also share an apartment with a friend or friends. (Please note that some exceptions may apply.)
3It’s safe!
  • Many UR apartments have a management service office that responds to inquiries from residents.
  • Around 96% of UR apartment buildings have been thoroughly evaluated for seismic performance, providing peace of mind in the event of an earthquake.
4It’s convenient!
  • In Kansai alone, the Urban Renaissance Agency manages about 390 complexes and 200,000 units out of a nationwide total of over 740,000 units. So, no matter where you want to live, you’ll be able to find the perfect UR rental apartment!

Application Procedure

Note: When filling out a rental contract as an independent tenant, you must provide a Certificate of Residence (juminhyo) for each occupant. Those without a Certificate of Residence—for example, persons living outside Japan—are not eligible for a rental contract.

Choosing an Apartment

To check for the availability of UR apartments in your desired area, please contact the UR Housing Information Center, either by phone or in person. A member of staff will recommend apartments to match your stated preferences.

  • Note 1: See the phone listings for UR Housing Information Centers (inquiries in Japanese only).
  • Note 2: You can also check apartment vacancies online (in Japanese only).

Viewing an Apartment

It’s a good idea to inspect the apartment in person before signing your rental contract. Please visit a UR Housing Information Center and inquire about viewing your prospective apartment. We recommend doing this about one month before you plan to move in.

  • Note 1: You can submit your viewing request online (in Japanese).
  • Note 2: A photo ID is required when viewing an apartment.

Qualifying Documentation

Please submit the following documents at the appropriate UR Housing Information Center:

  • Rental application form.
  • Copies of the Certificate of Residence of the applicant and all other occupants. (These must be issued within three months of application and must include information on the relationship of all occupants.)
  • Proof of income (e.g., pay slip)
  • Note 1: When deemed necessary, the Urban Renaissance Agency may request further documentation.
  • Note 2: Income documentation is not required for tenants who pay a year’s rent (including service fees) in advance.

Initial Payment

Fill out the required information in the contract and pay the following at a bank :

  • Rent (calculated on a daily basis for that month)
  • Building service charges (calculated on a daily basis for that month)
  • Deposit (two months’ rent)

Finalizing Your Contract

After completing your initial payment, you will be asked to visit the UR Housing Information Center to submit the following documents and finalize your contract:

  • Photo ID (e.g., passport)
  • Registered seal (jitsuin)
  • Seal registration certificate (inkan shomeisho)
  • Note 1: A seal certificate is not required if you submit a copy of your ID document.
  • Note 2: If you do not have a registered seal, you may instead sign the contract by hand. In such cases, neither a registered seal nor a seal registration certificate is required.

Moving In

When moving in, please pick up the keys to your apartment from the management service office for your building complex.
Please remember to bring a photo ID.

Recommended Apartments for International Students

Links are in Japanese.